Friday, February 27, 2009

iGoogle wins!! Thing 28

I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all of this stuff: and by not finding ONE spot where I can bring it all together. I've tried iGoogle - and I like the way I can have my calendar, my RSS feeds, and a lot of fun widgets there all at one time. However, I still feel like there's more that I can't access there...and I just find that I'm running all over the place to get it all together. I want a service to do a little more. I wish I could find one place where I could put every single thing I use - and I'm just not finding the one thing. Everything I find or use just adds more to what I'm already doing. 

I LOVE having my calendar on iGoogle - and opening it up and viewing it. However, I use Google on too many computers and I don't want my iGoogle homepage to show up when I'm in front of a class of students. 

After trying the  Netvibes and pageflakes I saw the benefit of iGoogle being that I had that powerful Google search engine. And even though I don't encourage students to use it, I do find that it is my search engine of choice. So having it with my customized homepage is a plus. 

I get tired of widgets that are just silly. I'm sure many of them have a use for people - but those that are just "games" drive me crazy. My son loves them! (He's 17, so he can) but I think they just take up space and time. I'm kinda short on both space and time...so I like the useful ones and I don't like the silly ones. A cartoon a day? I don't need it. I don't even need a sudoku a day. If I want to play I'll go out and find the one I like. A silly character just standing there smiling at me doesn't really make me smile. However - knowing the temperature, seeing a motivational quote, being able to view my calendar and getting a quick overview of the news and my RSS feeds does make me happy.

Anyway, iGoogle wins with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment